Two Minutes with
Prof. Sonia Ghoul-Mazgar
Founding President of the Tunisian Association for Dental Research (TADR)
• Graduated (DDS) from the Faculty of Dental Medicine of Monastir (Tunisia)
• Doctor es Sciences in Oral and Osteoraticular Biology-Biomaterials. PhD thesis from the University of Paris 07 (France)
• Specialized Dentist in Oral Histology and Embryology (Tunisia)
• Practitioner in the Prosthesis service at the dental clinic of Monastir (Tunisia)
• Founding President of the Tunisian Association for Dental Research (TADR)
• Responsible of Research on the biology of mineralized tissues in the laboratory research “ Dento-Facial Biological and Clinical Applications” at the Faculty of Dental Medicine of Monastir, Tunisia
• Responsible of the Laboratory of Histology and Embryology at the Faculty of Dental Medicine of Monastir • Responsible of the courses in General and Oral Histology and Embryology and in Oral Histopathology at the Faculty of Dental Medicine of Monastir (Tunisia)
• Member of the scientific council of the Faculty of Dental Medicine of Monastir since 2014
• Reviewer in several indexed journals
WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO BE IN THE DENTISTRY FIELD?
At the beginning, it was for the wonderful world of care, surgery and biomaterials. I was also happy to be able to treat patients, to help and to feel useful. When I realized that in some cases there were limits and that there were not always ideal solutions to propose, I converted to the limitless world of research in dentistry
WHAT ARE THE BEST/WORST ASPECTS OF YOUR JOB?
I think that the best aspect of my job is that I have no limits in my scientific thinking and I can wake up every day with a new working hypothesis or a new idea. I am also often surrounded by young people with lots of energy and daring. I also like to pass on my knowledge, to travel, to present my work and to meet other people and make new friends The worst aspect of my job is when I’m confronted with administrative slowness or a denial of my work
WHERE DO YOU LIVE?
In Monastir, in my lovely country Tunisia
WHAT DO YOU DRIVE?
A gray German car
WHAT DRIVES YOU?
Novelty, changing, discovery...
YOUR FAVORITE FOOD?
I’m not difficult; all the world dishes are welcome :)
Cooking :) and Microscopy
YOUR FAVORITE FILM?
“Doctor Zhivago” by David Lean with Omar Sharif & Julie
FAVORITE HOLIDAY DESTINATION?
WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
My readings, my meetings
WHAT REALLY ANNOYS YOU?
When someone tries to impose an opinion, refusing the difference, novelty or change
WHAT KEEPS YOU AWAKE AT NIGHT?
WHAT MAKES YOU SMILE?
Jokes, children, animals and flowers
YOUR BEST CHARACTERISTIC?
Very patient too
CAN YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN THREE WORDS?
Smile, respect and work
WHAT DO YOU DO TO RELAX?
Walking helps me to relax
IF YOU WEREN’T A DENTIST, WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE LIKED TO HAVE BEEN?
DO YOU READ AND RECOMMEND SMILE DENTAL JOURNAL REGULARLY?
Yes, for several years now
WHAT WOULD BE YOUR MOTTO IN LIFE?
“Take your time without wasting time”